I was sharing with both Ally and K that looking after an elderly person is quite akin to looking after a young child. The only difference is that one runs around and the other either moves slowly or is confined to a small space.
Granny was stubborn today and wanted to feed herself. Dad and I let her do so and she was dribbling bits of her porridge on herself. We're all well-trained now and make sure she wears a bib for every meal. After awhile though, she became tired and allowed me to feed her. It took a long time and she was falling asleep. I had to nudge her lips with the spoon each time I wanted to feed her.
From time to time, she'd miss getting everything on the spoon into her mouth and some would dribble on her lips or chin. Tissues would come into play at this point.
When she's full or doesn't want any food, she'd either shake her head or refuse to open her eyes or refuse to open her mouth.
If she's hungry, and you're not feeding her fast enough, she'd get grumpy and grumble, or she'd nudge you to show she wants more and quickly. Or she'd just open her mouth wide.
Today, I found myself smelling her diapers to see if she had poo-ed. And then it suddenly hit me that both Ally and some of my other friends who are mothers would do the same to their babies or toddlers.
So I think what they say is true. It really is a full circle.
When you near the end ofyour journey, you kind of go back to how you started that journey....
No comments:
Post a Comment