Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Counsellors & Controllers

A personality survey I did in March last year left quite an impression on me because I found it rather accurate. According to that theory, there are 4 types of people: Controllers, Counsellors, Engineers and …blah, I cannot remember the fourth type but it doesn’t matter in the context of this post…

Counsellors. Softer in nature, more approachable. Mediator. Concilliatory. Avoids conflicts. Tends to internalize thoughts. Generally the peace-maker.

Controllers. Wants to be in control and be seen in control. Tend to impose their views on others but not always in an uncompromising manner. Speaks up, speaks out, speaks more.

Engineers. Straight and less flexible compared to the other types. Rigid and unyielding at times. Less creative. Everything by the book.

It’s easy to tell which of the above I am. I am a “Counsellor”. I had a little of the other traits, but the test indicated that I was mainly a Counsellor. At least 80-90%.

It’s a little difficult. Working in a team where there’s a majority of Controllers and some Engineers around. Each having their ways of doing things. Each insisting on their views. Each wanting things to be done this way and not that way.

Recently, another Controller joined my team. He’s now the dominant Controller because he’s had more experience and greater knowledge. Loud voice too. He can be quiet and contemplative when mulling over an issue but when he wants to make a point known. He’ll talk the whole room down. And he sure can probe as hell. His questions strategically placed in conversations. One of those whom you know the mind is on a constant whir of activity. And one of those whom you find it hard to tell if he has a hidden agenda or not.

But, he is smart and very capable.

The team’s been plagued by MCs, reservists, child sick leave and blah blah. So we’ve been operating on a half-strength from time to time. When it gets back to the days when all are around in the office, I wonder if there’ll be more work discussions and disagreements on how to move forward.

Come to think of it, I think I actually am surrounded by a lot of Controllers. Whether in work or personal life. Haha…do Counsellors attract Controllers?

No comments: