Monday, December 06, 2010

Day 2 - Sunday 5th Dec Colombia Time.

Didn’t get a good night’s rest. There was some event going on around the hotel and booming music was going on till maybe 2-plus in the morning. Woke, skyped with K, and then went to the meeting venue to register myself and collect the goodie bag. :)

Took a walk by myself after that when I went back to the hotel. Opps, I broke my promise. Told my parents I’d not walk alone but ah well…nevermind lah hehe.

The Streets, Buildings and Vendors
The streets were alright, though with shady characters lurking around various street corners and street vendors plying their trade everywhere. Pushcarts, people carrying trays and walking around, motorcycles with a tray attached behind, hawkers, people with necklaces and bracelets strung on themselves, etc. All just trying to earn their living. And oh yes, some beggars here and there.

These people approach you and since I, being Asian, stick out like one big sore thumb, I was approached more often than not. Modus operandi was to play dumb, smile and walk away. They ask if I speak English, I’d just shake my head and smile. Eventually they’ll move off. The good thing is these people don’t touch you or try to pull you to their stalls. Unlike some of the other countries I’ve been to where they hold you and try to pull you to their wares.

The buildings are quite nice actually, all low-lying 2 or 3 storey buildings. Some colourful in yellow, red, green or blue hues. Others are just plan white. With railings and overhanging balconies and some with flowers trailing along the balcony railings.

Weather
Sunny, warm and much like Singapore. Except with more breeze as this place is just next to the Caribbean sea. Big bright blue skies with lots of white fluffy clouds. But it gets dark here early, probably around 5-plus.

People
There are whites, blacks and browns. Some of the brown-skinned people look like Filipinos, some fairer ladies look like Asians. Some of the really dark-skinned people look and talk like Jamaicans. Maybe they really are…I don’t know.

They can’t speak English well and most folk only one or two words of English. Which makes it extremely difficult to order food or buy things when you’re outside. It’s the same with cab drivers. They can’t speak English.

The ladies are really booby. Even the young girls are. I feel like I’ve got nothing when I stand next to them. Didn't really notice the men though haha...

No comments: