Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Expectations

Is it bad of me to half expect an acknowledgement after I say "thank you" to someone? Is it bad of me to half expect an acknowledgement or a "thank you" when I hold the lift or door open for someone? K shared with me once that I shouldn't expect anything in return, since I did it on my own accord.

Perhaps he's right and I have not yet learnt not to expect things in return.

I watched an episode of a local Chinese TV drama a few weeks back. The pastor in the show said something to this effect: “最重要的是你在做你觉的是对的事。最重要的是你做得开心。别人的事, 就不用去管了。他没表示谢意, 没表示感激, 那是他的事, 就别去管了。这样你自己也开心多了!”

My Mandarin is bad, I hope I got the right Chinese characters to convey the message of the pastor.
Loosely translated in English, it means that the most important thing is that you are doing what you think is right and that you are happy doing it. It does not matter what others do. Even if they don't express thanks and gratitude, that is their business and you do not need to bother about it. This way, you'll be a happier person!

Note to self: High time I learn not to have such expectations.

No comments: