Sunday, August 26, 2012

Osmosis

I was watching Caesar Milan's Dog Whisperer on TV a few nights ago. He spoke of how dogs pick up on your emotions and feelings and state of mind and will act in the same manner. Eg. If you're edgy and nervous when dealing with the dog, it'll get edgy and nervous too. If you're calm and collected, the dog will pick up on your steady vibes and be more calm as well, and hence be easier to handle.

It brought to mind something I was observing from time to time on how kids pick up things from their parents. I'm not talking about the conscious things parents teach their children, more like the unspoken subconscious behaviours, mannerisms and emotions that children sense and pick up from their parents.

My mum's a paranoid person at times. She's edgy and nervous at other times. And I know she definitely passed those onto me. No, she didn't teach me to be that way. Just being with her all through my childhood and formative years was enough to let those emotions and behaviours permeate me.

My sister-in-law's a quieter person. She's calm for most of the time though she's got her neurotic and paranoid times as well. My nephew turned out to be a quieter boy too. He's insightful and calm for most of the time unless he's playing with my parents. (Then he morphs into a crazed child haha.)

Osmosis of emotions and behaviours and mannerisms?

Hmm, when I have a child of my own in the future, I wonder what traits my child will pick up from me and K? I hope only the good ones haha.

No comments: