What is the best way to market oneself in an organization?
I am not the kind to engage in a “see and be seen” modus operandi. Nor am I one to spend time licking the bosses’ shoes. But somehow, these two methods seem to be the fastest way to move ahead. At least from what I’ve observed.
I’ve been in both the private and public sectors and that seems the quickest way to move up the ranks or get into the good books of the bosses. The quiet hardworking worker may or may not get his/her just recognition unless the boss is a perceptive and partial person.
I used to think that being hardworking and delivering well is good enough. Till an ex-boss, Guin, said to me “You need to put yourself out more and let the ones in management see you more.”
A little digression. Work, can get a little complex. Aside from the work itself, there’s politics and people dynamics to contend with. How energy consuming sometimes. Which is why I usually choose to hide in my own corner and just work.
Which brings me back to the first question again. What is the best way to market oneself in an organization if one prefers to be the quiet worker and not the worker with the gregarious (whether real or reel) outlook? Hmm.
No comments:
Post a Comment