Thursday, April 23, 2015

Lawyers

I do generalise sometimes.

Like when I think of lawyers, I usually expect someone witty, articulate, eloquent, smart, with an acid tongue when needed, assertive and possibly adversarial when needed, firm, cool and calm, imposing sometimes, generally you feel assured with them, etc.......you get the drift. And they usually speak in a certain calculated manner.

So far, most of the lawyers (old or young, experienced or fresh, partner or associate) I have seen, met or interacted with, whether in casual or formal situations, fit into the above descriptions.

The lawyer I saw yesterday however, sort of fell out of the above descriptions. He was a senior associate. After being in a meeting with him for 3 hours, somehow the word that came to my mind to describe him was "ditzy".

My own internal legal counsel was in the same meeting and today she shared with me that she felt the same way haha.

He was mainly taking notes of the meeting but did throw in some jibes and smart aleck jokes during the course of the meeting, sometimes while his colleague, a senior partner of their law firm, was talking. After making what he thought was a smartass remark, he would look around soliciting laughter or smiles from people....but um...to no avail.

Maybe I might change my mind about him when I interact more with him in the future.

He has been put in charge of the issues my company has assigned to their law firm, under the supervision of his senior partner. Right now, I can only keep my fingers crossed that he will do a good job with the tasks assigned to him.

No comments: