Friday, April 03, 2015

Listening vs Dispensing Advice

Do you offer advice the moment someone talks to you about something? 

Do you stop to think and try to ascertain if the person is just trying to find a listening ear or is the person really trying to seek help and guidance? 

Do you impose your thoughts and ideals on that person before the person even has the chance to ask "what do you think?" 

I have said this before and I probably sound like a broken record now. But I guess this is something I feel strongly about. 

Don't assume that when someone talks to you about something, that he or she is seeking advice. He or she could probably just be seeking a listening ear and only wanting get things off their chest. Maybe the last thing they want is another person telling him or her what to do or how to do it or how to handle things. 

So listen first, stay neutral and don't be too quick to dispense advice, well intentioned or not. 

Reminder to myself too...

No comments: