Saturday, May 05, 2007

samedi soir = saturday night

The first piece of news when I touched down in SG on Friday evening was that Gran was in hospital. AGAIN. Mild stroke.
They didn't want to tell me when I was still overseas. Only asked me to call home when I touched down. Thought they just wanted to know I am back home in SG safely...
Didn't quite occur to me that there was anything out of the blue.

Blimey...should have realised something was up. They don't usually ask me to call home when I touch down.

Apparently happened on Thursday morning. According to mum, dad & Santi (our maid), Gran & the maid were in the washroom getting ready for her bath.
She was unbuttoning her blouse when she got abit wobbly...

Santi managed to grab her and sat her down on the toilet seat. She was sweating profusely, head tilted to the left...started drooling and speech was sluured. RED ALERT.
Santi called out to mum who was cooking in the kitchen. Rushed in. RED ALERT.
Called out to dad who was in his room reading the papers. Gran's left arm & leg was immobile. Fingers on the left hand were cramping up. RED RED RED ALERT. Sure signs of a stroke.

Ambulance came and whisked her away to CGH....

Diagnosis : Mild stroke. Cholesterol levels which are way out of control i.e. fucking high. Blood pressure which is fucking high too. Enlarged heart (there's such a condition???)

Remedy : Can't do much cept to prescribe her a type of blood pressure medication which thins the blood out so it doesn't clog any arteries. Con side = if she suffers a cut, the bleeding can't stop. At her grand old age of 91, operations are out of the question.

Visited her today. Seems perfectly fine. Just that the stubborn streak in her is still prevalent.
She couldn't remember what happened in the bathroom...only remembered the ambulance trip.
Insisted that nothing happened..that she was not wobbly. That she did not have a mild stroke. That she was perfectly fine.

Oh well..the grand old dame is like a bloody mule.

==========
Suddenly realised I miss Lydia. Was wondering how she was doing in Jakarta when I remembered that hey, she's got a blog ain't she?
Went around digging for her blog URL and voila!
Spent the past 45 minutes reading her posts from DEcember till now. haha..

Seems like the whacko is having a great time there.
Of course there are some downs to complement the ups...(What are ups when there are no downs right?)

Glad for her that things are going well...Think she snagged a Prince there too.. hmm mm..
She's coming back on June 8th..Gonna grill her to bits then...
Muahaha...of cos with the help of the other duckie girls...

I miss her bitchiness & shrill shrieks!!!

For those who have not been following me through the months...Lydia is teaching in an international school in Jakata now on an 18-month contract...One of a kind girl with a wonderful grasp of the English language...combine that with a bitchy, quirky sense of humour and a gu-niang-like stance of things at times... ahhaa...
www.suanmeifen.blogspot.com

=========
Can anyone get inebriated on green tea? Cos I feel this way now.
Head heavy, groggy, tummy queasy...

Could be the panadol I popped an hour back?
Very slight fever...hope it goes away by the time I get up tomorrow morning.

=========
Went for French class today again, after a one week semester break if you can call it as such.

Surprise surprise. I am not in Pascal's class anymore...gonna miss the man..the crappy fella.. haha...he's taking the advanced class this semester.
Checked the notice they put up near the reception desk. I was in a class taught by a certain Benoit. (Pronounced as Ber-nwa)

Trotted off to find the classroom. 230pm came and voila!
It was not a Caucasian who stepped in but an Asian guy...think I looked quite agog...cos he looked at me quizzically...
He waltzed in and started spouting French like nobody's business...Aw man...French slang to a T. Utterly French in all ways. Mannerisms & expressions. Think he must have grown up there?

He looks Vietnamese though. Tanned and slightly stocky. Maybe less than 1.75m tall?

I miss Pascal! And having him call me Mimi! hahaha..

==========
The Sng family will be celebrating Mother's Day tomorrow...at a seafood restaurant in East Coast Park.
Red House Restaurant..(Do I hear you going...?? "high cholesterol...tsk tsk"...)
Bopian...Empress couldn't decide on what to eat. Passed the decision to the Prince...Prince made the decision...And the poor little Secretary had to dutifully go make the reservation.

Guest list:
Emperor Sng
Empress Sng
Prince Adrian
Princess Mei
Little Prince Marc
Princess-cum-Secretary Shell
Knight-in-Shining-Armour Choy

==========
Ok, am not feeling too good now...
Supposed to have done some work...
CMI.

Off to bed...

Till the next time...

No comments: