Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Granny

I'm glad that when I went to visit her on the Saturday just past, Granny was okay.

She was lucid and could carry on normal conversations with me and Dad. Her short term memory was still very bad though but I guess that has evolved to be the norm over the last 2-3 years.

It was the same on Sunday when Adrian & I brought her to Easter Sunday mass at Holy Family Church. She was okay though she didn't talk much. We were there early and managed to get seats at the pews. A very nice lady warden gave us seats at the last row of the pews though that row was usually reserved for wardens only. I've seen her a few times already, I think she's a senior warden already.

During mass, Granny surprised us both. People who have been to mass would know that there are times when you need to stand to pray or sing hymns and there are times when you need to kneel as well though most of the time you remain seated.

When it was time to stand, Granny stood up as well, holding onto the seat in front her with shaky knobbly hands. Adrian and I told her it was okay, that she need not stand and that she could just sit throughout the service. We were both brushed away and admonished with a huge glare from her haha.

When the time came to kneel, the same thing happened. My jaw dropped when I saw her going down on her knees. My 95yr-old Granny, who has difficulty walking without aid, who's heart is regulated with a pacemaker, who has had hip replacement surgery, who has gout and who has had a mild stroke before, was on her knees. We tried telling her again that she need not kneel. God won't be angry just because she didn't kneel. And we were both dutifully shushed up again.

Haha, and so this happened several times whenever it was time to stand or kneel.

She stood, she knelt, she sat, she prayed, she crossed her chest, she had communion, she dabbed her forehead with holy water blessed by the Father.

And she was smiling that Sunday morning. For she had her own special bonding time with the Lord and Mother Mary.

No comments: