I have recently gotten into the habit of wearing bedroom slippers at home. It’s odd really, considering I never liked the “hassle” of putting them on previously.
I remember my parents, more of my mum actually, spending copious amounts of time nagging at me when I was a small girl still in primary school. “Wear your slippers!” she’d cry out at me in a shrilly voice. “Keep your feet warm! It’s not good for your feet to touch the cold floor for too long! Not good for the body!”
I never really understood what she meant by “not good for the body”. But of course, I never bothered asking. And I never listened to her too.
As a young girl running about, having a pair of those things on my feet just wouldn’t do. I couldn’t possibly be taking them off when I wanted to climb the chairs or hang onto the window grilles. And how on earth could I possibly run fast with those things hindering my feet? I did what any child would have done. I just didn’t bother wearing them. My pair of bedroom slippers was always left in some corner of the house, neglected and yearning for some love.
When I was in Europe some months back, it was winter and cold to the bone. Kyne had a pair of slippers in his room and I took to wearing them to keep my feet warm on the cold tiled floor. (It gets really cold in winter, especially if there’s no heater in the room!) And then one day, I was out shopping with Kyne and chanced upon a simple pair of bedroom slippers. I fell in love with them. Soft to the touch and slightly furry to retain warmth, they were cut like a ballerina’s flats, had a small little satin ribbon bow on the top of them and came with a cushiony, leathery sole. I bought a light grey pair.
I wore them straightaway when I got back to our place and subsequently brought them back with me to Singapore when my holiday was over. And I have been wearing them at home ever since. I’ve become a bedroom slipper convert.
After a day’s work and after a day of having your feet cramped into a pair of pointy-toed heels, it really does feel good to snuggle your feet into a pair of bedroom slipper. It’s a warm fuzzy feeling having your battered toes ensconced in a furry, cushiony and leathery bubble. Haha. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment