I have a recurring dream theme.
It usually is about me getting lost and trying to find my way, either in a university hostel setting or a university school campus setting. Sometimes I am with someone else in the dream and together we try to find our way, sometimes I am alone. Rarely is K with me whenever I have these dreams.
I had one such dream last night, or rather, around 5-plus or 6am this morning.
This time, K was with me. While we didn't take too long to find the hostel room assigned to me, I took a long time instead trying to figure out which key it was that could open the door to the room. I remembered holding a bunch of different types of keys in my hand, and fumbling through them while K waited next to me.
By the time we got into the room, we were tired and just crashed onto the dusty bed to sleep. I woke earlier than him and I remembered noticing that the room was located right next to a hawker centre so I could smell char kway teow, chye tow kueh and other local delights being cooked. The air in the room was dusty, oily, musty all at the same time.
I remember recoiling at the sight of the dirty hostel room toilet, which came attached to the room.
I had no choice but to use it as is though because my bladder was almost bursting. I held my breath and balanced precariously in my flip flops on the toilet floor. I was done quickly but before I could flush the toilet, I heard a tiny muffled voice from outside the room door.....
"Mama.....mama".
And that was how the dream ended.
The little girl had woken and was calling out for me from her room...while babbling some other undecipherable words...
The clock read 610am.
No comments:
Post a Comment