Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Hmm

It was a thumbs-down moment for me. 

Someone I’d known for more close to 15 years texted me with a “How are you dear?”. He’s a guy. We were closer once but we’ve hardly kept in touch in the last 5-6 years.

I thought it was nice of him to have touched base and reached out. I responded with some stuff and asked him how he was doing too. 

There was no response for several days. 

And then suddenly there came a text. But all it contained was a reference to an article he had written on LinkedIn and a shout-out to read the article. 

I did not respond. I found it a little distasteful and a little...I don’t know...disappointed? Dismayed? 

I felt like as I had been disarmed by the initial text and opened up myself. I responded sincerely with genuine information. But for several days there was zero acknowledgement to what I had shared. He didn’t care a hoot about what I’d said. And then instead after that, I suddenly found myself becoming a recipient of unsolicited marketing. (He runs a training business, motivational talks and coaching that sort of thing.)

When I received the article link, I immediately wondered. Was I just one of the many he mass-texted with a “How are you dear?” And was I just one of many who received he article link too? 

I was also suddenly reminded of another occasion where the same happened. I brushed it off the other time and didn’t think too much of it. But a second time....bah...

Maybe I am judging too much here. Maybe I have mistaken his intent. I don’t know. 

Am I judging too much? 

No comments: