Thursday, September 27, 2018

Like Those Lovely Salmon Rising Against the River Stream

I recently discovered a Korean folk rock song from 1998. It's got a long quirky title but the lyrics are only a little quirky and pretty meaningful....



Like those lively salmon rising against the river stream
By Kang San Ae

For the same mysterious reasons
that salmons rise against
the river stream of their own will.
 
I don’t know since when,
I’ve been walking, walking
and walking this road.
I wonder how much further
I have to go in the days ahead.
 
Among many prongs of a fork in the road.
Even if this path that I’m walking
is an inevitable detour onto a winding road.
Though it will harden my feet
if I keep walking, walking and walking,
I will be lying down in those wide flower beds to take some rest.
 
Among many prongs of a fork in the road.
Even if this path that I’m walking is in the pitch black dark, even without starlight
I cannot just give up now.
If I keep walking, walking and walking
I will be able to see the sunlight
That’s passionately shattered for me
 
Even so I know I have been blessed so much
with so many roads to choose to walk ahead of me
Right, if I start walking again
If I keep walking, walking and walking
One day I’ll be thankful for all these things
 
The end of the road is not in sight
You hang your weary shoulders and sigh but
please don’t be afraid
Like those lively salmon rising against the river stream
If you keep walking
If you keep walking
If you keep walking…

No comments: