Spent the last 3 days (Mon to Wed) at the Civil Service College in Buona Vista.
It was.... 3. Whole. Intensive. Days. Of.
Basic Principles of Data Analytics.
Most courses are quite relaxed where you need to only be on 60-70% brain operating capacity.
This course was quite taxing and intensive. Fully interactive. I was on guard and fully engaged 99% of the time because once you lose concentration, you'll miss what the trainer said and you'll miss taking down notes. I felt like I was back in uni taking lecture notes. Lots of hands-on, lots of notes-taking, lots of arrows by the trainer to answer questions, lots of project and group work.
The first day was pretty stressful due to the new environment, adjustment to the trainer and the setting, and getting thrown questions which I struggled to answer sometimes. Went home with a tight chest on Monday evening. The next 2 days were more manageable. But I felt quite tired out at the end of each day.
I woke in the middle of the night on Tues night and I somehow remember that these words were swirling in my head...standard deviation, scatterplot, boxplot, mean, median, mode, variance, skewness, pivot table, interquartile range, hypothesis, upper whisker, lower whisker, ................
zzz... simisai.
Laoniang barely passed Statistics in my uni Year 1. In fast, Stats brought me my first ever D in my entire schooling life. I swore off stats back then and even chose to do In-depth-Interviews instead for the data collection portion of my Final Year Project...
20 years later.....and I'm going through a crash course on it now. Sorry, not "going". "Went" through a crash course on it haha.
Nevertheless I'm proud I went through the 3 days, despite the uncertainty and anxiety, especially on the first day. I didn't drop out.
And I'm very grateful, and blessed too, that by some strange stroke of luck, my boss, KH and Vicky all happened to be in the course as well. None of us planned for it and it just happened to be this way. Was very glad that they were around, at least I could sit with them and not have to face added stress of sitting with strangers and doing group work with them.
Yeah, another personal challenge settled.
No comments:
Post a Comment