Monday, May 03, 2021

Aghast

Recently read that in our closest country neighbour, there's been a long "culture" of schools and even madrasahs physically checking girls to see if they are really telling the truth when they say they are on their periods and hence cannot go for prayers. Apparently it has become the the teachers' quest to "catch" girls who they think are falsely proclaiming this so that the girls can "get out of" or "siam" their daily prayers.  

Both male or female teachers undertake various forms of checking including: feeling the girls' crotch area to see if they are really wearing sanitary pads, literally asking the girls to pull down their underwear, asking the girls to dab their private area with a tissue and showing the teacher the stained tissue later, etc. 

Some young girls recently spoke out on this matter and the issue has been gaining momentum. 

I was aghast and somewhat angry when I read of this "culture". Like what shitty thing is this? A school should be a safe environment, not one where your teachers feel you up. It's criminal if a male teacher does this! And even if it was a lady teacher doing the checks, it doesn't make it any more legit. No girl should be subject to such humiliating, uncomfortable and stressful situations!! No girl should have to "prove" that she is on her period or not. 

Maybe I have 2 girls and that's why I felt indignant. I hope MY's lawmakers and politicians take a stand on this matter and make reforms where necessary. Culture and mindset is indeed an ingrained thing and may take a long time to be eradicated or changed, but I sincerely hope they make headway on this. 

No comments: