Wednesday, June 30, 2010

27 June 2010 Sunday

Windmills
It was like a school excursion. A 15-minute train ride to the suburbs of Amsterdam city, to this place called Zaanse Schans. They had windmills there! Something I wanted see…they also had a small cheese-making factory, a woodenshoe-making workshop, souvenir shops, a small museum, a clock museum, etc.

The place was pretty. Long, green and lush fields. Bright blue skies, white fluffy clouds. Crisp cool air. The only thing that spoiled it was the number of tourists there haha…

I was inside two windmills. Saw the inner workings of the huge wheel clogs and big big wooden pegs. Climbed steep staircases within the mill to get up to the highest possible level…and felt wobbly while doing so haha. Stepped outside the windmill too to enjoy the scenery, looked down and felt like I was gonna faint. The wooden flooring had 1inch gaps between them..I could see the ground below, and I was 2 stories up.

Trains
The train network is quite confusing. Not to mention the unfamiliar names and Dutch words are hugely confusing. Alkmaar, Koog-Zaandeijk, Koog-Zaans, Zaans de Vans Mars, etc…gosh. And the station names are not prominently displayed too.

No comments: