When I was in my teens, I would be home in the afternoon on weekdays, sitting on the floor in front of the TV and surrounded by my schoolbooks. I'd try to finish my homework and watch TV at the same time. Granny would be sitting there in the living room as well, watching TV with me and at times if she didn't get the storyline, I'd have to explain to her. She was already somewhat hard of hearing at that time and often relied on the actors' facial expressions to conjure up the plot in her mind.
When I was done with homework or when the TV programme was over, she would sometimes tell me stories from the past. Vivid stories which enthralled me and had me imagining I was back in the 1920s, 30s and 40s. Maybe I should have recorded all those stories down. But this is always thought of in hindsight. Who would think of recording down such valuable and interesting information at the tender age of 15? It is regrettable to me now that I only remember some of those stories told to me.
Sometimes, she would tell her own story. How she came into existence, when she got married, how my Dad came into this world, etc.
When I was 17, she shared me her family tree. I don't know what hit me then but somehow I jotted down that information. On a TPJC foolacap paper lol. I must have been finishing up my homework when Granny started talking to me. There were many times when I was clearing my drawers that I thought to throw this piece of paper away but I'm glad I didn't.
Mum was helping me pack up my old dresser table drawer that day and when I went over to visit, I brought home a bag of the drawer contents to sort through at home. This piece of paper was in there.
Sure, it's yellowed and a little frayed at the edges but the ink has kept well with only slight fading. I think I'm going to digitise it for posterity. Transfer it into soft copy or something. Might show Dad as well, it's his lineage too afterall haha.

No comments:
Post a Comment