It was our open house, a house-warming of sorts. I saw her approaching from a distance. She seemed spritely, cheery and healthy. A small smile lit her face and she had a twinkle in her eyes. She was wearing her gold-rimmed glasses. Her hair was short and neat and permed in those little curls she favoured.
She was flanked by two other ladies, one was my grand-aunt Ipoh (granny's younger sister) and the other I've forgotten who, though in the dream I seemed to know who she was. They supported her from each side, but it was a cursory gesture for she seemed strong enough to stand and walk on her own.
I started towards them. And that was when the dream changed course.
As I approached them the surroundings blurred increasingly. Noises faded out and suddenly the two ladies by her side were no more. It was just herself and me.
She had become skin and bones, weak and fragile. Her knobby knees buckled under her weight and I found myself carrying her. She leaned in heavily on me, her head lolled on my chest and she felt heavy in my arms despite being only skin and bones. Her eyes had become dull.
And then for some strange reason, I was on a road suddenly. Darkness all around. When I turned to my left there was a sudden appearance of bright lights, I winced. It turned out to be the headlights of a white van.
I sidestepped and the van swerved as well. We narrowly missed each other. I remember thanking god for protecting granny and myself.
The dream ended there though because Little Baby's cry suddenly pierced through the baby monitor receiver. It was 2:30am when I checked the clock.
I remember waking up feeling sad. I wonder what the rest of the dream would have been like had I not been awoken.
No comments:
Post a Comment