I have not been following closely the tense situation in Gaza. While I have only had the chance to take brief glimpses at various snippets people have posted on social media, what I have seen is more than enough to touch me.
Innocent young babies, toddlers and children having their lives robbed from them. Women and other innocent civilians are not spared as well. Call me naive but isn't there is such a thing called war ethics? That women and children and other innocent civilians shouldn't be dragged into the fracas?
I saw a photo of a baby, no more than 3 months old, swaddled up in a white cloth. He looked tiny amidst the folds of cloth. His eyes were closed and he looked somewhat peaceful. He didn't know any better I suppose and was not given a chance to savour life fully before it was taken away from him. He was laid out next to his mother who too, had her life taken from her.
I don't know the underlying premise behind the attacks nor what political agenda and motives there might be. I admit, I am lacking in knowledge of current affairs of both our local arena and that of the world. But still, one does not need to understand the motives and causes to know that it is inherently wrong to conduct attacks on innocent people....
I am grateful that my government has taken steps to ensure the safety
and peace of the country not only through military preparedness and
weaving social harmony over the years, but also through
maintaining healthy bilateral ties with other nations.
I am grateful, that I am born in a country that is stable, both from such atrocities and from other earthly natural disasters.
I am grateful too, that my daughter has been brought into this world in a safe environment. I cannot fathom if she had been born into a situation otherwise.
When she grows older, I wish to share with her the plight of other less fortunate people...and that we should treasure our loved ones and not take things for granted.
No comments:
Post a Comment