Monday, September 11, 2017

Oh the arrogance

Met a conceited and arrogant taxi driver this morning.

The proud cuckoo rejected my route (PIE/KPE/MCE) and confidently told me that "PIE got jam". "Anyway, your route is so long. Go one big round also. Uncle show you a shorter way."

He thumped his chest when he said "Uncle show you!"
If he were a peacock, he would have been fluttering his plummage in my face by now.

In my heart I was thinking that I've tried out all routes before and I think my route is still the most direct, even if there is a jam. But well...the usual doormat-that-doesn't-like-conflicts me just said whatever, we'll go your way if you're so confident about it. I was tired and couldn't be bothered to talk much.

My eventual fare of $25 ended up being $4 more than the usual $21 or $22 in the morning peak traffic.

When he stopped the car, he conceitedly asked me: "How??? Uncle good or not? Good or not?? Good right??!!" He said it with a straight face. It wasn't a simple proud moment. He was just being arrogant and downright egotistical.

I told him: "No. Not at all. My usual fare is just $21."

I still paid him $25 but left with no pleasantries. I usually wish the driver a good day before I exit the car.

He shut up as well.

Anyway, I didn't quibble with him over the extra $4.
Let that be a lesson to me not to give in to conceited taxi drivers in the future. I had no time anyway as I was rushing for a meeting too.

Just that I started the workday in a not-so-good mood. Bah.

No comments: