Sunday, December 17, 2017

Conversations

Funny how conversations go the older one gets.

In my 20s, conversations with the Duckies revolved around asshole boyfriends, horrible dates, gossip about the company and our ex-boss, updates on whichever workplace we were at at that point, general trivia, bitching and well, more bitching. 

Truth be told, though I treasured them as friends and appreciated being part of the group, sometimes I felt abit zapped out by the incessant bitching. Too much of it haha. 

As I moved into my 30s, there was a noticeable shift in conversations whenever we got together. Especially in the last 2 to 3 years. 

It became even more apparent to me in our last 2 meet-ups. 

Our talk is no longer about horrible dates. Though as a group we went through 2 divorces  (both were cheating cases) and had to contend with one of our own ghosting us. All of which happened within the last 3 years. 

Our talk is now about health, be it our eczema issues (which surprisingly a lot of us have), EH’s immune disorder issue, G’s hepatitis issue, our digestive issues, etc. 

Our talk is now about quick but meaningful updates of our current lives. Our talk is about our siblings and familial relationships. Our talk is now about careers (not jobs and workplace gossip). Our talk is now about reminiscing.

Sure, the lame jokes are still there. The occasional bitching is still there. But generally, I feel our conversations have become abit more meaningful, at least to me. 

And there is this easy camaraderie amongst us as a group, including the “associate members” I.e the boyfriends and husbands. 

Here’s to 15 years and counting! May this band of Duckies go strong! 

No comments: