Actually. More like 1.5 weeks.
Sunday. 3 June. We brought the girls out to Tampines Hub in the morning. They had fun at the playground for awhile. By lunchtime, Nadya was running a fever. She complained of some neck ache on the left side of the neck, below the ear. It was slight, we thought it was an ache caused by the fever.
Monday night. 4 June. Brought her to the PD. He also felt the neck ache was probably due to aches and pain caused by fever. He did mention it could be a lymph node infection or ear infection but as there were little other symptoms, he suggested to treat the fever first. I was on child sick leave and/or working from home on Mon and Tues. She was crying and fussing every night due to neck pain. Sleep was intermittent and very restless. Woke numerous times each night due to pain and for medication.
Thursday. 7 June. She was not getting any better. Fever was still present and going up and down everyday. Her neck aches were increasingly uncomfortable. She'd be ok for a few hours and then fussy and irritable for another few hours...her pallour was getting worse. I was working. K brought her to the PD in the morning and was told that she seemed to have n ear infection. Prescribed antibiotics and sent home.
Friday night. 8 June. Culmination. She had had 4 doses of antibiotics by then but did not seem to be improving. Cried and fussed for the entire night. Sleep was elusive. Neck pain seemed to be getting increasingly intense. I was at a loss. By then, both she, I and K had not slept much for most of the week. I was on child sick leave that day again.
Saturday morning. 9 June. She was crying and fussing. Something is not right. Called the clinic and they advised us to go the KK. And so we did. I was relieved that we went. Very relieved. She fussed a little here and there while waiting. Docs at the A&E placed her on observation at the A&E holding ward. A&E doc assessed her. ENT doc came to see her. Senior doc came to see her another time. Did a nose/throat scope. I held her while she struggled and cried during the procedure.
Probable lymph node infection, possible infection behind the throat, in the neck area. Swollen lymph node in the left side of the neck. Redness at the back and behind the throat. Was told that the left ear was actually ok. Slightly red only but not to the extent of having an ear infection. Was informed that she would be put on antibiotics via IV for 48 hours and monitored.
Eventually got admitted around noon time. Children's Tower Ward 85, Bed 14.
She was a trooper. Was in the procedures room all by herself as they didn't allow me in there with her. Said they needed a sterile environment. Doc who inserted the IV plug said she didn't cry at all and was very brave. They did a good job of distracting her maybe. She was talking to them about her little sister and told them Alyssa's name and age.
When she got to the ward, she fussed a little and complained to me that "I don't want to come back here ever again!!!" "I don't like to be here!!!!"
Sunday. 10 June. Positive news. After a day of antibiotics via IV, she was looking much better. Only the occasional whine about slight neck ache. She was able to smile, laugh, run and jump. A 180-degree change from the previous day. Was so happy to see her responding well to the treatment. Which meant that the docs need not undertake further tests.
Monday. 11 June. I was on child sick leave on Monday again. While she didn't enjoy the stay and felt bored, I think she loved the continuous and easy access to the TV and to Cartoon Network. Doc McStuffins, Bare Bears, Vampirina, Hi-5 and Sesame Street were some of her favs. Neither she nor I were familiar with any of these series till her hospital stay. My FIL bought her potato chips and I think she thoroughly enjoyed nibbling on the chips. She didn't appreciate the 8 hourly IV antibiotics drip though....From time to time she would tell me she wanted to go home.
Tuesday. 12 June. I'm back to work. K was with her since last night. Did a final blood test at 11am. Doc concludes that she is well enough to be discharged. Taken off antibiotic drip and given 2 weeks' worth of oral antibiotics. 2 types of antibiotics. What a relief! By 2pm they were on the cab home....
Get well soon my baby girl....and stay healthy ok....
Dun give Mama and Dada such scares again....
No comments:
Post a Comment