Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Conversations with a 6yr old and a 4yr old

2 days ago, in the car.

We had a small bag of rubbish in the car. Some stuff in it were mine and some were Nadya's. I sought her help to hold the bag and told her to throw it into the bin after we parked the car. She complained a little....

Me: "I can't be throwing away your rubbish for you all the time you know. You're big enough to do this on your own anyway."
N: "Excuse me!" *followed by a sassy head roll*
N: "You also have your rubbish in here (the bag) you know!"

*rolls eyes*
Are we starting the rebellious stage so soon? Since when did 6yr-old talk back so much? Lol....

===============
It's been relatively easy putting Nadya to bed these days. She knocks out within 5 to 10mins. Even if she takes longer, she knows and understands that she needs to be quiet and close her eyes so she can drift off to sleep. Alyssa is a different story....and has been rather difficult during bedtime for the last couple of weeks.

Last night. When putting the girls to bed. Alyssa again started her antics.
She was playing, walking around in the room, going from bed to bed. Even if she lay down, she would start kicking her toys and bolsters and ME, refusing to lay still and be quiet. And refusing to sleep.

I reached my limit last night. I gave her an ultimatum. That she stop her antics or I'd leave the room.
No points for guessing which option she took. I left the room. To calm myself down and also to show her that I meant what I said.

30 seconds later I heard her start crying. No big wails but soft sobbing and whining. I'm soft-hearted but willed myself to stay in my room. Nadya then came over to announce "Meimei is crying already." I thanked her and told her to go back to bed. Willed myself to stay in my room for while more.

I think it was a couple more minutes before I went back to the room. I think she was relieved to see me but still acted defiant. (Perhaps it's an ego thing?) She refused any form of physical contact with me. And still refused to listen to me when I told her to lie down and go to sleep.

So I sat there. In silence. I waited.

She eventually gave up and came sliding over to me, wanting hugs. I held her for a couple of minutes and she buried her head in my chest. I took the time to explain to her why I was angry and what was expected of her when it was time to sleep.

When she was ready, she let go of me voluntarily and went to lie down on her own accord. After hugging her favourite toy and snuggling into her pillow, she told me.....

"Sorry Mama, for being naughty."

That. That was sudden and unexpected for I'd not taught/told her that before.

That. That melted my heart.

That. That made me feel that despite the uncertainties and groping around in the dark in this parenting journey, perhaps we did do some stuff right.....

No comments: