Friday, March 27, 2020

Of goodbyes, bugs and others...

Chapter 1: Bye 

On 18 Mar, I threw away the Stevia...it gradually got more and more brown leaves over the last 2-3 months and dropped many leaves. It came to me in mid December with a full bushy head of leaves. It ended up as a pretty bald and brown plant...dunno why also...:(

On 18 Mar, I also threw away the asparagus fern...it was one of my fav plants...:( It got infected with mealybugs. Dunno how also....:( My guess is that it was already infected at the nursery. There were too many of them and I couldn't get rid of them fully due to the plant's structure of stems and leaves. Silly me didn't explore using neem oil and homemade insecticide yet at that point...I threw the whole pot away lest it affect the other plants near it.

====================
Chapter 2: Bugs...oh the horror

On 23 or 24 Mar....to my horror, I discovered that the water plum bonsai my FIL gave me....had some mealybugs on it. They were found on the seed pods, and some new flower buds. I was wondering why the plant had stopped flowering for a few weeks when it previously had at least 1-2 flowers at any point in time! And I was wondering why some leaves were turning yellow....now i know why....

I was somewhat upset. It was a prized plant and my virgin bonsai pot...Luckily the infestation was only in the early stages, I think...and whatever little bugs I could see that day, I cleaned off with water and squashed the bugs with a tissue. I'm checking the plant each day now and there seems to be only 1 bug or 2 that I see each day, which is good.

I did some research and will be getting neem oil from a colleague and making my own pesticide to get rid of whatever remaining bugs there might be.

OFF WITH YOU MEALYBUGS! LEAVE MY PLANT ALONE!

====================
Chapter 3: In other news....

I've been working from home this entire week and got a colleague in office to help spray my 3 Tillandsias, and a small pot of moss rose. I hope they are surviving well...Supposed to be back to office next Monday...fingers crossed they are still doing ok!

For some reason, I kill succulents alot although they are supposed to be sibei easy to care for. But there's a pot of succulent at home that surprisingly, has survived for at least 6 months already. I also lost count of when I actually got it because I didn't pay much attention to it as I thought it would die pretty fast. Anyway, happy it's still surviving lol!

Indian Borage is growing wild and rampantly...I've 3 pots of it again....and given away enough cuttings to colleagues and friends to make at least 3-4 pots.

Aloes are sprouting like nobody's business too..I don't know what to do with so many pots of aloe vera hmmm....

The mosquito plant didn't survive after a year plus...K planted one scraggly cutting into a pot...it's barely surviving and half of it is green...but it still smells lovely.

The local pomegranate is pretty ok...but it alternates between on the brink of death and suddenly sprouting many new shoots....half of the plant is dead though....many dead branches that have no new shoot whatsoever.

The Spanish pomegranate somehow grew more last year....but is tall and scraggly....not sure what to do with it also....

Foxtail fern is doing ok and it grew out 1 or 2 new shoots so that's going pretty good :)

No comments: