Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Cleaning & Cleansing

I initially intended to clear just two shelves of my cupboard.
I ended up cleaning all 4 shelves of it.
And discarding about a trashbag worth of stuff from it.

There was another small bag of stuff which my mum salvaged, saying either she or my dasao might be able to find a use for the things.

So well, it was probably just a shift of junk and gunk from my room to her room and/or over to my brother's flat in Pasir Ris.

Sensing I was in the right mood and frame of mind, my mum jumped on the bandwagon and dredged out 5 bags worth of soft toys to see which ones I wanted to keep and which ones I wanted to throw and still, which others I wanted to donate to the Salvation Army.

It was sort of an emotional afternoon.
Going through stuff which I'd long forgotten about. Remembering things associated with each item, be it good or bad memories.

Remembering who gave me what and for which occassion. Discovering things long forgotten.

I came across my autograph books from secondary school and JC days.
I came across old photographs from 15, 16 years ago.


I saw photos of me, Ally & PQ fighting with each other in a chalet room. I saw pics of Parwin, Hidayah, Gurmit, Yazid...TH, Poh Chuan...

I came across old art drawings I did when I was in Sec 1.
I came across batik cloths I made when I was in Sec 2.

Gosh, it's times like this when you think to yourself "Shit, you mean that much time has passed us by??"

Then there were other things which had a certain amount of sentimental value to it but to which I just closed my eyes to and threw away. Sometimes, I guess there's no point holding onto various things in the past. What matters most is the present ain't it?

Sure one might argue that the present was built on the past but oh well, concentrate on the present and your future will be built upon it.

There were loads of soft toys.

Hello Kitty collectibles from the days when MacDonald's was giving it away. I think that was at least 9-10 years ago?

Still wrapped in the see-through plastic bag. There was a pair dressed in Korean traditional costumes. I kept those. And there was another pair dressed in Western clothes. Kept those too.

Hehe, collectibles leh. I almost threw them away actually. My mum asked me to keep them. Lol.

Then there was a racoon with a squeaky tail from a suitor when I was in P6. Some birthday toys from secondary school. And tons of other toys from my stay in SGH in 2005.

I wanted to give away quite a number of them to the Salvation Army.
Interestingly, my mum couldn't bear to. She said they were rather cute and were still very new.

Oh well, so back into the top of cupboard they went.

The irony of it all. She's alway the one who wants me to throw throw throw.

Phase 1 is over.
There's still at least 6 phases more to go. Or 7 maybe.

Long way ahead...but en route to a cleaner and less cluttered room!!

And en route to a newer Michelle.

No comments: