26 June 2009
Whale Watching
Me and HC went whale-watching today! Haha…it was a 3.5hour boat ride. Went out to the open sea and it felt nice. The skies were bright and sunny. The clouds were lovely, huge, white and fluffy. Seagulls were flying and there was a bunch which followed us a little way…
I saw albatrosses sitting on the water just bobbing along to the tides. It felt so surreal!! I’ve only seen these things on NatGeo or Discovery Channel and right now I’m in the midst of it all. :)
And then. The guide yelled out in the PA system. Humpback whales sighted. Woohoo!
There were two of them. Spouting water through their blowholes. I could only see their backs though as they surfaced to get some air…and then I could only see their tails and then they vanished beneath the water surface again..
It takes an average of 2-4 minutes before a whale will surface again to get more air. According to the guide, those we saw were young whales. Probably only a year or two old. Because the water that spouted did not reach very high levels.
Managed to catch a far-off glimpse of a fur seal…munching on fish apparently. Also managed to see 3 or 4 pygmy killer whales! They were leaping in the air much like how dolphins do…which made most of us on the boat think they were dolphins till the guide clarified with us.
I went back to shore feeling like a happy lark :)
Night Walking
The evening was spent exploring the parts of Pitt Street and George Street which were catered for the Japs and Koreans. I seriously felt like I was in Jap-land or K-land. Shops with names like Shinjuku, Harajuku…restaurants selling Jap and Korean food, convenience stores selling Jap and Korean goods. Japs and Koreans populated the streets. I heard Jap and Korean music blaring out of shops…gosh. Haha.
Peck-Peck-Peck
And of course, a good Korean bowl of hot Kimchi soup made for a lovely dinner on a cold cold night haha. I loved the amount of vege they had in the soup.
It was oh-so difficult trying to get my hands on a decent amount of vege over the past few days. The only vege I saw were those used for garnishings. I would have loved to grab that carrot flower or capsicum flower…but I think that would have just smashed my reputation to the floor….
No comments:
Post a Comment