The start of the Rabbit Year seems to have brought me into a few "listening-ear" situations again.
Over the last few days, I unwittingly found myself providing listening ears on three separate occasions.
****
1) A girlfriend, whom I was very close to last time, spent some time talking to me on Saturday night about her almost failing, if not failed, relationship with a guy who is a divorcee with two kids. 3 years spent being there for him and now she may be calling it quits.
Sigh, I guess it really is time to move on, however hard it may be, if you cannot see any future or direction in the relationship. Or if you think you and your partner are just cruising along with nowhere to head to in particular. Or if it turns out to be just a one-sided effort in attempting to grow the relationship further. I hope she finds what she truly deserves in this Rabbit Year....
****
2) I received a call on Monday afternoon. From a friend whom I've not heard from for the last 10-12 months at least. We met up for coffee that same afternoon. He used to be my vendor when I was still working in the Marketing line. We've kept in touch over the last few years and are more like friends now. When we met up, he shared with me the reason for his "disappearing" for so long.
His business was doing very badly. Fledgling. He was "played out" by some clients and partners alike. And by September or October last year, he was quite cash-strapped. Although his wife was working (and still is), they also had two young kids below 5 to look after and his mum was also living with them. At times, he and his wife had to share a packet of chicken rice between themselves for dinner.
Still, he managed to get some references from friends and is currently holding onto 3 jobs now. He also shared with me that he did not know he had the strength and energy to keep on going. He'd work from 9am to 5pm, then go off for sales appointments for another job of his, go home and then try to settle admin matters needed for his sales job and hit the sack at 2am or so. On the weekends, especially in the evenings, he'd be helping to manage an Italian restaurant somewhere in the east side of Singapore.
Though his schedule seems to be jam-packed, I think he still makes the effort to be there for his children and family too....I hope things get brighter for him this year and may he find a suitable solution to better his financial situation.
****
3) A long-time friend, whom I've known for close to 18 years, called me up just now. After the usual pleasantries, he shared with me that things weren't exactly rosy between himself and his wife. Arguments are getting more frequent, his wife seems to be suffering from depression, he's working on shift-work timing now in a new role, his wife's physical health isn't good too and medical bills amount to a few hundred each month...Things are taking a toll on their relationship
Still, he's keeping his head high and trying to work things out little by little...I wish him all the best and hope that things smoothen out eventually for them...
They've been together for about 15 years already and married for the last 3-4 years. I really hope they work things out...
No comments:
Post a Comment