I watched Black Swan last Friday at Tampines Mall. I was alone and it had been a long day. I was feeling a little down at work and had hoped that the movie would bring me some welcome respite from the humdrum of the working week.
I had originally wanted to watch The King’s Speech but it wasn’t showing at Tampines and so…I ended up with the other critically-acclaimed Best Picture nominee Black Swan.
Bad choice for a Friday night.
I don’t mean to slight the show. It was good in a way, very different. And Natalie Portman was brilliant in the show.
But it was too disturbing. Creepy at times. Dark and sinister. Shocking at times too, much like how a horror show would freak you out at times with things suddenly popping out or a loud clang of music suddenly bursting in your eardrums.
I had already had a tense day and watching the show made me even more tense thereafter. I’ve never screamed in a theatre before, but that night, I actually uttered a small cry during one of the shocking moments. Good thing was, everyone was equally shocked and I also heard some shocked cries from other parts of the theatre as well. Many a time during the show I found myself holding my breath.
I walked home after the movie. With heavy feet, a fast-beating heart and very tense shoulders.
I can now understand why it was nominated for Best Picture. Black Swan builds up its suspense slowly, without you even realizing it. You feel as if you’re going insane in the same way the main character’s mind distorts reality and fucks itself up. Sexual nuances are not pared down, hence the M18 rating. The attention to details are note-worthy and kudos to Natalie Portman too for having endured many long sessions dancing and acting out her ballet sequences.
2 comments:
alone? why you didn't jio me.... -_- then we can be scared together.
lol spur of the moment haha..okok next time I jio you ok!
Post a Comment