Wednesday, February 02, 2011

:(

The weather is making me feel melancholic.
Cold and damp. Winds blowing. It's bringing my mood down.

I went to visit Gran after work just now. She was supposed to have been discharged but then she had some slight seizures and so had to be kept in the hospital. When I was there two nurses were changing her out of her dirty clothes.

She had wet herself again. Perhaps she's too used to having diapers in the nursing home. Or perhaps it's just old age and a general difficulty in controlling her bowels...Apparently, in the early afternoon, she didn't realise that she had shit on the bed. Dad was there and he told me about it.

When the nurses were done, she was feeling very cold and had huddled under the blanket. She also had on a black cardigan which had little yellow, blue and pink flowers sewn onto the front of the it. Very old-school and quite a nice cardigan actually. Adrian had gotten it for her as a Christmas present some years back. I think it was from Yue Hwa in Chinatown.

Anyway all she wanted to do was sleep and so all I could do was to stroke her head and pat he leg from time to time.

A senior staff nurse came after about 15mins and we both tried to wake her up for her dosage of 7-8 medicine pills, her nightly eye drops (a different type for each eye) and her nightly nasal puff (to aid in breathing and for clearing the airways).

She was grumpy. Fought with the nurse, swatted our hands away and declared that she wanted to sleep. "DON'T DISTURB ME" she growled in Malay. She then pulled the blanket over her head and hid under there, ignoring even me.

The senior staff nurse didn't want to agitate her anymore and left Gran as she was.

I couldn't do anything much and left soon after as well.

I don't know how to describe Granny actually. A feisty frail old lady?
Oxymoron leh..hmm.

Anyway, CNY plans are quite screwed up now. I was looking forward to staying at home and having visitors over on the first day because we were intending to bring Gran home. Adrian, Mei & Marc would go around visiting and representing our family.

Now it seems like the new plan is for the whole family to go out visiting together. All squeezed into one car, Adrian, Mei, Marc, Dad, Mum and myself. Sigh. I didn't get suitable clothes for going out....I bought something quite casual to be worn at home. Sigh. I forsee...a tedious 1st day for CNY.

No comments: