The days have been hectic and I find myself looking forward to 6pm everyday working day when I can officially knock off. Things have been a blur with deadlines being yesterday, different aspects of one project all looming up at the same time, staff bothering you with meaningless questions, bosses bothering you with high-level questions that make you squirm in your seat feeling like a small child, and so on.
There has been times when I found myself staring at the computer screen, suddenly at a loss and wondering what I was supposed to do next. And other times when I found myself holding my breath for no rhyme or reason. These days all I want to do when I get home is to skype with K and then crash into bed.
I feel like a lab rat running on a wheel. I just know to keep going forward. Is this good or bad? I don't know.
KPIs and indices mark our daily lives. So many comparisons, so much competition, so many report cards. Both tangible and intangible ones. Both conspicuous and discreet ones. Both work and societal ones.
How much are you earning? Which school did you study at? Are you planning to further your studies? Where are you working at? What is your designation? Are you married? When are you settling down? What phone are you using? What performance grade did you get this year? How many months of bonus did you get? Do you drive?
As a friend once put it, it's like a race but without the literal sweat, pumping heart and heavy breathing. For me, it's a constant tight feeling in the chest. And a bubble of impulse to drop everything and go away.
How nice it would be though, if we could press CTRL + ALT + DEL and reboot our lives whenever we find it tough to keep going.
No comments:
Post a Comment