Peanut arrived at 10:45am on 24 September 2015, Thursday, barely 30mins after I was given my regional epidural shot and roughly 45mins after I was wheeled to the operating theatre from my room in the ward.
My first thought when I felt the baby being pushed and yanked out from my belly?
"She sounds like a duck."
Her wails resembled a duck's quack I kid you not. And yes, she's a screamer like her older sister. In fact, I think her lungs are stronger than her older sister's.
They have the same hair at birth. Thick, black, waxy and oh so wavy...if Little Baby's hair sets a precedence of what is to come, then it means that by the age of 12-15months, 95% of Peanut's curls and waves would have disappeared. It'll be a waste I think.
Peanut turned out to be a bigger baby. Gynae had predicted that she would be a small one like her older sister but...to her credit, she ended up being more than 3kg. 3.065kg to be exact. More than 300grams heavier than Little Baby. She measured 48cm at birth, just 1cm longer than Little Baby last time.
Peanut had an extra piece of skin hanging from her left thumb. A "skin tag" is the official term for it. A narrow strip of skin with a knob of what resembles a ball of blood clot at the end of that string of skin.
The paediatrician said the entire string of ball and skin would drop off on its own soon and that there would be no need to trim or snip that strip it off. And the PD also explained that the skin tag was likely an extra thumb that was not eventually formed.
Gosh.
Anyway, I'm just glad that she has a full set of 10 fingers and toes where they are supposed to be.
During our skin to skin contact nd bonding time, Peanut appeared to be rather content and comfortable to be on my chest. Naked, sticky and covered by numerous warm blankets, she fell asleep pretty quickly on my chest and bawled angrily when the midwife shifted her so that her mouth could be placed near my boob to encourage latching.
She's a natural latcher like her older sister. I'm glad for it makes for easier breastfeeding. Only thing is...I only saw her for that hour of bonding time.
She was then whisked off to a high dependency baby nursery due to low blood sugar levels, which could affect brain development. So she was being kept there for further observation. She seems to be doing better already and would likely be "returned" back to my room on Friday morning.
While I miss having her with me, I think I appreciate more the opportunity to be sleeping peacefully tonight. Lol. I could do without bonding with her tonight I guess. Many a sleepless night filled with cries and milk and pee and poo looms ahead.
We are stopping at two.
Partly due to my age, and partly due to my health reasons. Even the gynae advised us to be content with 2 kiddos.
I told myself to fully treasure Peanut's growth and developments going forward. And of course to love and appreciate Little Baby's progresses and achievements too.


No comments:
Post a Comment