Thursday, June 29, 2017

give a man a fish or teach a man to fish?

There is a junior officer who tends to ask for help before even trying to figure things out for herself.
Maybe she's trying to take the easier way out. Maybe it's become a habit after more than 20 years of working.

She asked me a question today. While I could have given her the answer in 30 seconds. I gave her a URL and made her read through to find the answer herself, with some guiding questions I gave her.

I used to tell her whenever she looked to me for answers: "Then give me part of your salary lah...since I'm doing some of your work for you."

But I have recently changed tactic and provide her indirect answers or a general direction to go so that she has to work her brain abit and figure out the final answer herself.

Am I mean? I don't know.
I just felt I couldn't just keep giving her answers so easily and must make her work for it.

Oh well. My style.

No comments: