Friday, May 18, 2018

FY18 Workplan

Had my performance appraisal dialogue with my boss yesterday.

"Among the team leads, you're the one I worry least about." That sounded nice and was a small boost to the ego. How true and sincere it is, I don't know but it's still nice to hear it haha.

While the dialogue went ok and my boss generally had no negative feedback for me, I still feel lacking and that I can do more. Much more. He did mention that I could beef up my policy work skills but also acknowledged that policy work was something difficult and does not come easily or naturally to all. Not everyone could do it well and in fact, he struggles with it also.

Applying a policy mindset to work and projects is definitely not my thing and I struggle with it. But I will still try my best. It takes years to hone those skills. So well...one baby step at a time...jiayou! I was advised to "read widely"...Hmm...see how this one goes. Not a fan of economics, finance, public policy and other non-fiction materials.

Knowing his penchant for digressing into non-related topics during such sessions, I'm glad I took the time and effort last week to prepare myself for the dialogue. I knew what I wanted to get out of the session. And so each time he digressed, I listened perfunctorily, gave nods and smiles at appropriate moments and then guided him back to the points I wanted to raise or seek clarity on.

I did gain more clarity on what I should focus on in my own FY18 workplan. Some things were taken off my plate recently and I was a little lost on how to fill the gaps that were created as a result. Now that I have a slightly better understanding, it's time for me to take these few days or 1 week or so to plan my scope for the FY ahead.

Jiayou and hwaiting!

No comments: