I've recently heard that there is a Venerable Pomnyun. He is a South Korean monk who has unconventionally embraced a more modern approach to spreading Buddhist teachings. He even has a Youtube channel and also goes around the country speaking at public lectures.
Came across some things he said that made me think abit deeper.
"Humility is not about lowering oneself, but about treating everyone equally."
Going by his definition, I guess I'm not as humble as I thought I was.
Definitely food for much thought. And more self-reflection needed here.
I know for sure that I don't treat everyone equally, loathe as I am to say it though.
"Happiness means being being free of any agony or pain."
When asked what happiness means, he gave this definition. So most people are actually happy. It is just that they don't recognise it and they don't realise it. Why don't they? To him, it's partly due to not understanding the definition of happiness, and also due to materialism and wanting more.
"Be frugal. Be humble. Attain peace of mind. "
Frugality - Keeping a simple life of no frivolous spending. Human greed is endless. It knows no boundaries and needs to be kept in check.
Humility - Be humble to others and treat everyone equally.
Being at peace - Never be too excited, anxious, nervous or worried.
No comments:
Post a Comment