Thursday, April 05, 2018

Uncle T

I took a cab this morning. Again. Yes, I've backslided alot this year but that's a story for another day.

Recently many cab drivers like talking to me. I don't know why though. :) And then once in a blue moon, I would meet one who inspires me. I was so engrossed in our chat that I forgot to ask him for his name.

I'll call him Uncle T. T for Teochew since he's one. Uncle T is 73 this year, 3 years younger than my dad. He looks a little younger than his age and credits it to his exercising 4 times a week. He wants to start learning how to read and write Chinese and has started looking at various private learning centres. He can handle conversational spoken Mandarin but wants to learn how to read and write it. From the way he speaks, his English is pretty good.

Uncle T said to me that these days, it's not "活到老,学到老" but actually "活到老, 学到老, 学不完!". He also shared with me that his greatest regret is not doing what he wanted when he was younger. This is also the greatest regret of many on their deathbed. He told me that these days he wants to do, try and learn so many things but he finds that he has quite limited time.

He didn't say it outrightly but I feel that he is a little regretful too that he does not have grandkids. He has a daughter and a son, both in their 40s. The unfortunate thing was that his daughter-in-law passed had cancer and passed away when she was only in her 30s. His daughter doesn't seem to be married. That's why he has no grandkids.  But he is a proud grandfather to a furkid, a toy poodle named Chanel (who is 11.5 years old by the way). He's glad that at least he has someone to fuss over when he goes home each day. And he's glad that his wife, who is not working now, has someone to occupy her time each day too.

I got reminded of my parents and I wonder if they're lonely. Empty Nest Syndrome? I definitely hope not. And I am glad too that they've got a big bunch of friends that they hang out with and go on trips with. I hope I have a bunch of good friends too whom I can hang out with when I get to their age.

Side story:
Uncle T's daughter-in-law passed away on 26 May 2012. several years later, his son got himself a girlfriend whose birthday happened to be on 26 May. That relationship didn't work out and now he has another girlfriend. Guess what? Her birthday is also on 26 May. Gosh, how much of a coincidence is that? Uncle T joked that he asked his son if having a birthday on 26 May was a criterion to be his girlfriend.

So anyway...Uncle T....thanks for inspiring me. It's really laudable that you're still so active, healthy, happy and hungry to learn at your age! Here's sincerely wishing you, your wife and puppy Chanel long lives ahead! May your son and his current girlfriend eventually get married too, I know that is your wish. :)

No comments: