It's been a 2-week hiatus from here...mainly because we went to Osaka!
We flew off on 28 September and flew home on 6 October.
Some stuff from the trip....
1. The Girls: On the Plane, Eating Habits, Relationship
I'm still amazed at how Nadya can watch 6 hours worth of cartoons going to Osaka, and another 6 hours worth of cartoon on the flight back from Osaka. I'd be doggone tired but she was still ok lol. She got pretty good at operating the touchscreen monitor and could make her own selections once I switched her monitor to "kids mode".
The girls ate well while there. They fed themselves mostly and there was not too much whining though they were sometimes still distracted. We brought a whole lot of milk powder for their before-sleep feeds and for Alyssa's middle-of-the-night feeds....BUT, for some reason, they didn't drink at all. Alyssa requested for milk sometimes but when we made the milk in a cup for her...she'd take a few sips and then reject the milk. Maybe it's because she still drinks from a bottle at home. Anyway, we ended up bringing back the entire pack of milk powder......
Nadya was a trooper...She walked alot during our stay in Osaka and although she sometimes complained of being tired, and whined a little, with some encouragement and goading, she still managed to trudge on. There were times that K had to carry her though, all 17/18kg of her, as she was really cranky and tired out from the walking.
Alyssa....sigh. I carried her alot and I went to bed each night aching and sore like f*ck. That's carrying 13kg and walking everywhere...sometimes up and down staircases too.
I think the girls grew closer during the trip. *hearts* And I think Nadya developed more of her caring side as a big sister. I'd like to think it was partly due to me asking her for help to look after Alyssa. Sometimes, if they were both walking, I'd ask Nadya to hold hands with Alyssa and make sure she keeps to the side of the road or the pavement. Or I'd seek Nadya's help to brush Alyssa's hair, etc...I saw her taking her own initiative and guiding Alyssa along and looking after her the other day...my heart felt so warm seeing that...:)
2. Dotonburi
Tourist trap area haha. Some shops are pricier but there are still some places selling reasonably priced food. The area is busy and tourists mill around at all times of the day. Still it makes for a nice stroll, especially at night when all the neon signs and streetlights light up.
We of course had to take the obligatory picture with the iconic Mr Glico Man and the moving mechanical crab haha. K was disappointed that we didn't get to try many many types of food...but well, when you've two kids with you...sometimes ti does get difficult to queue up or step into different restaurants.
3. Chouette Owl Cafe
I'm glad we went to this cafe. We went out of our way to find 2 cat cafes on Monday but they both didn't accept kids below the age of 7 or 10 and we were quite disappointed. So I was really happy we managed to go the the owl cafe. The girls liked the owls so much K ended up buying them an owl feather each.
Alyssa's and my favourite owls were Azuki and Chip. K liked a white snowy owl called Arashi and Nadya didn't have any particular favourite I think. Alyssa was initially afraid and didn't dare to pet the birds but gathered up her courage after awhile.
I had mixed feelings about the birds though. While I appreciated the opportunity to interact and pat them up close, I also felt sad that they were chained to wooden perches and were not flying around in their natural habitat.
4. Nara Park
We took the Kintetsu Line out to Nara, a neighbouring town from Osaka. Nara Park had deer roaming around and we bought deer feed for them. Bad idea cos we were immediately swarmed by deer big and small, male and female. Alyssa was in my arms and clinging on to me for dear life. Nadya was spooked as well and started shrieking. Lol, other tourists were looking at us being surrounded by the deer. K got bitten on his belly by an aggressive male buck looking for food. We ended up throwing some of the feed on the ground to get away from the deer....I didn't even get to pet one because whenever I tried putting my hand out, one of them would think there was food and would try to chomp down on my hand...
Things got alot calmer once we managed to get away from that main group of deer. We managed to explore parts of the surrounding park and I was glad we did so. Nadya acted up a little but soon found joy in playing with the gravel on the ground lol. Both girls were squatting down and grabbing handfuls of the gravel. The architecture of the temples and shrines there were quite nice...It was also a very bright and sunny day and it made for good pictures. :)
5. Kaiyukan (Osaka Aquarium)
This place really impressed me. We did not only see fishes, we saw other animals like seals, sealions, penguins and capybara too. Their main tank located in the centre of the building was a huge-ass tank which housed whale sharks, manta rays and giant garoupa as well as other types of smaller fishes. I was awed by this main tank and totally loved the visit to the Kaiyukan! The way they displayed the jellyfishes was also very artistic and cool. If the SEA aquarium in Singapore is rated an 8, I'd say the one in Osaka is a 9. :)
6. Kuromon Ichiba Market
We got lost when we exited the subway. It was only our 2nd day in the city and we were still confused by the mainly Japanese signs. We spent a good 15-20mins just trying to figure out which direction to go and where to walk. Only to realise that the entrance to the market was actually just a minute's walk away haha. K was excited to visit the market. There were loads of stuff to eat and try. I was erm,,,less enthusiastic though. I'm not so adventurous when it comes to food, especially street food. He tried fugu (puffer fish), eel, whale meat, eel innards and sea urchin. The girls were mainly just curious about the various types of seafood around and the different colours of the stalls...we ended up having udon for lunch at a small restaurant.
7. Food in general
K kept complaining that we didn't get to try sushi. I complained that we didn't get to try gyoza and okonomiyaki. But actually.....we did try these things - oyako-don, gyu-don, cold and hot soba, various types of udon, ramen, takoyaki, saba, rolled egg, and omu rice. We even got the chance to have dinner at a Japanese grill place where we grilled/barbequed our own food).
One thing that surprised me was that the food there was quite salty and heavily seasoned. I started having a sore throat after 3-4 days there. Too salty for my liking actually. As for it being heavily seasoned....well, what more to expect coming from the land that invented MSG? haha...
8. Subway
Way too many stairs haha. Some of the interchanges were twice (or more) as large as our Dhoby Ghaut interchange. We were lost a couple of times and most of the time, we had to walk very far just to change lines...Still, I'm amazed at how well-connected the city is. Even more amazed but the number of subway lines and privately run railway lines. The first time I saw the map while planning for the trip, I was utterly confused about how to get from point A to point B haha.
9. Weather
We thought the weather would be 15-25C and we went on a shopping spree to get heat-tech and thicker stuff for the girls. We stocked up on long pants and long sleeves for the girls. It ended up being around 27-28C in the day....with the sun sometimes being as strong or strong than that in Singapore. The only good thing is that Japan's not as humid as Singapore and you sweat less as a result. It only got cold on one night when it started raining and got chilly.
Last but not least....
10. Plants
I loved all the temperate plants and trees that grew there...so pretty...
Moss was also plentiful along the sidewalks and pathways...basically you could find moss anywhere you went. Sometimes they were thick and so fluffy I wanted to dig them out and bring them back to Singapore...I saw many types of maple and pine too...and other coniferous trees...They were all so pretty I was tempted to break off some branches to bring back to Singapore in the hope of rooting them....Alas, I didn't. But it made my heart full to see the pretty foliage there. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment