Monday, December 13, 2021

Of appearances and ..... confidence?

Just realised that I've received many comments about or related to my appearance since I was young. Most of them were from my early 20s onwards. 

  • Why don't you get braces?
  • You should trim your eyebrows.
  • Do you want to get lasik?
  • Why are you in glasses now? You look better in contacts. 
  • You lost weight, you're so skinny. Please eat more. 
  •  You look better now with more weight after pregnancy. But you could tone up. 
  • Do you want to go for laser skin treatment on your face? 
  • Do you want to get botox?
  • Maybe you could get eyebrow embroidery. 
  • I can bring you to my aesthetician. 
  • You have many large open pores, you should use this XXX product to help close them up. 
I usually ignore or say no or just smile, shrug and change topics.
At times, I wonder to myself if I look that terrible. At other times, I wonder if K gets such queries or comments as a guy. 

And I wonder too if the accumulation of such comments over the years sub-consciously affects my confidence and self-image. I sometimes think it does. 

Nadya has recently been talking on and off about "fat", "thin", etc. I don't want her to get an unhealthy mindset about body image and/or having to meet other people's expectations. May need to sit down and talk to her in the future about this if need be. 

No comments: