Friday, May 23, 2008

Hmm mm....

Met up with a HongKonger in the KL meeting. Knew him from previous meetings already so we were seated near each other during dinner.

Interesting observation he made.

He asked if I was from local uni. And I said, “How’d you know?”

“Well, you speak with quite a lot of ‘lahs’ and ‘lors’…That’s Singlish right?”

“oh…really? I speak like that? Sheesh…..”
And in the meantime, in my heart, I was thinking…oh shit…do I really sound like that? Bleah…ok, I shall make a conscious effort to edit my English in my head before it spews out of my mouth…

And then came another observation from the same guy…

“Hmm, let me guess, you’re from NTU right?”

“Ya!! How’d you know???!!” Ok I admit, my voice did go up a notch or two. But bear in mind ah, you don’t get foreigners knowing your own local issues so well…in fact, perhaps better than some of your own local folks even…

“Well, let me just say that I think NTU graduates are more humble than those from NUS. Somehow you can tell the difference…”, came his reply.

Hmm..interesting observation points…
Did some own comparisons based on the above 2 points….was thinking through my own circle of friends…

Well, there might be some truth in these obervations…
Hmm mm…

No comments: