Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Mr Orange

I woke on Tuesday morning to discover that during the night before, Mr Orange had dropped his main claw. I found it next to him, partially buried in the gravel.

It is serious business when a hermit crab drops his main claw because they use their main claw to act as the "door" to seal shut the entrance to their shell when they retreat into it. And it is also serious business when a crab drops so many of its limbs within a span of a few hours. It usually means the crab is dying.

I took his shell out and checked on him. It felt really weird seeing him with both claws and one of his legs missing. He wasn't moving and didn't respond as well when I tried to agitate him by blowing on him.

Sigh. I couldn't do much except put his shell (with him in it of course) and main claw into a small plastic bag and disposed the bag.

RIP Mr Orange.

You were the active vibrant one with your orange coloured limbs, always climbing here and there and especially up the netting I set up at the back of the tank for you. You liked having cornflakes and you enjoyed your baths. When Mr Grey passed on 2 months back, I had a feeling you were kind of lonely in the tank. Hope you didn't suffer too much when you passed on...May you have lots of cornflakes in wherever hermit crabs go to when they pass on...(hmm, crabby heaven?).

No comments: