Saturday, August 15, 2020

The house

I was reading a book and it touched on one common source of stress and unhappiness - the house. 

Yup, the constant state of clutter and messiness, especially in certain parts of the house does bring me stress and unhappiness. It makes me mangzang. Frazzled. 

I agree with the author though, that things cannot be changed in one sitting or in a day or two. Because things are constantly moving, things are fluid and constantly changing too. We have to accept that. 

Perhaps a better way to manage oneself would be to accept this fact and accept that the house will always in a constant state of “work in progress”.

I set myself a small target 2-3 weeks ago. Instead of trying to change or pack or clean everything in the house at one go and lacking the energy, time and will to do it, I’ll set aside 20-30mins each day to clear/clean/pack/declutter one area. Just 20-30mins each day should hopefully be quite achievable right?

It was working well till I had my wisdom tooth procedure. Slacked off for a week and picked it up again this morning. Spent an hour clearing an area of the girls’ stuff. 

While I was happy that I threw junk away and cleaned up 2 drawers and part of a shelf, I was also a little irked and irritable. Because I was thinking to myself that the helper didn’t do a good job at cleaning. Layers of dust were clearly visible on those drawers. What the hell has she been doing? 

Do I really need to be so specific to her and remind her all the time to do this, do that, clean here, clean there? Hmm...

For now, I’ll try to chill abit before talking to her about things. Don’t want to end up flaring up. 

No comments: