Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Wisdom no more?

6 Aug 20

I went to remove 2 wisdom teeth at CGH. Upper left one was done by extraction and bottom left was removed through dental surgery. 

It was slightly scary sitting in that chair and having my whole face covered up with surgical cloth, save for the mouth area. Strangely, I wasn't afraid of the LA injection they gave, 5 in total and 1 more in the midst of the surgery itself for I still felt some pain. The nurse said that was the most painful/scary part. I beg to differ lol. 

What was really scary was when the surgeon took out the drill and started drilling my tooth to break it down into smaller pieces. The sound of the drill in your mouth was deafening and I remember thinking I hope he has steady hands and won't accidentally drill my tongue or gum...It was also somewhat scary when he was cracking that tooth into pieces (you could hear audible cracking sounds) and then trying to pry the pieces out. Oh yes tasting the bitter coppery taste of your blood in your mouth is pretty scary as well. 

I was tense and halfway through the procedures, I realised I was relying on 2 coping mechanisms. One was to replay continuously in my head...visions of the girls saying "Mama you are brave and strong. You can do it! Yeah!" And the other was to pinch my left hand. 

It speaks volumes when they give you antibiotics for a 5-day course....but painkillers for a 7-day course. I took painkillers for 1.5 days but I think it was highly unsuitable for me. I felt groggy nauseated and disoriented and even had fainting spells on 2 occasions. Skipped the painkillers altogether and went without. The pain and discomfort was still bearable. Took me another 1.5 days at least to not feel groggy anymore. 

Anyway, it's Day 5 after the procedures. 

Laoniang is still eating porridge and soft foods for every meal, including soaking bread/biscuits in milo or honey. The swelling has gone down alot though there is still some residual swelling. I've finished my course of antibiotics already. I'm still rinsing my mouth with medicated mouthwash 4 times a day. I still can't lie on my left cheek. I still can't laugh too much or smile too widely. There are times when I turn my neck to the right too quickly and my left neck/jaw area hurts. I still can't wash or dry the left side of my face too vigorously. Lower left jaw still aches when I swallow anything, even my saliva. 

Hoping I will recover soon and quickly. Jiayou Michelle!

Looking forward to eating proper food again....I jio-ed K for an Astons lunch date when I've recovered. I want beef. 

No comments: