Tuesday, January 25, 2011

LDR

Acronyms are part and parcel of my job. Yes, I'm a public servant.

So. LDR.

Long-Distance Relationship.

LDRs are not easy. One's here, the other's there. One's in this time zone, the other's in a time zone 7-8 hours slower than yours. When you're happy, you can't just call and share your joy immediately. When you're sad and things really get you down, you can't ring and pour out your sorrow. When you're frustrated about what life has to offer you, you can't just call and speak your mind.

It is really not a nice feeling when you find yourself down in the dumps and need someone to talk to or hold you but there isn't anyone. The loneliness and sadness you feel gets amplified multiple-fold.

But.

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

You learn to cope. You learn to adjust. You learn to adapt. You learn to love the other party even more. You learn to appreciate the other party even more. Add a generous dash of committment and the equation balances itself.

I just heard of a couple who recently went their separate ways. Girl's overseas and guy's over here.

Other reasons were present though the split was largely due to them being in an LDR. I know the girl and I heard she wasn't taking it very well. Oh of course. Who would take such things well and easily? (except scumbags maybe) But I'm sure she'll bounce back in no time. She seems the resilient sort.

I'll admit. Though I do feel for the girl and can imagine the heartache she must be going through right now, secretly, I am just very thankful K & I have managed to work hard to keep things going. I really do appreciate his efforts and love him even more for it.

I am thankful too for the technology that has allowed us to keep in touch ever so often.
Skype, MSN, WhatsApp.

Oh I wish there were a teleporting device. Then couples in LDRs can teleport to each other in an instant. :)

No comments: