Sunday, January 23, 2011

My little garden

Terrariums are supposed to be easy to care for. Fittonias are hardy indoor plants and are supposed to be easy to care for too.

I have no idea how, in my month-long absence, my mum managed to almost destroy one of my open-air terrariums. It's the smallest terrarium somemore, just a small little jar which used to house preserved soy beans.

Sigh, I told her not to water it anymore since I'm back. She watered it anyway. And didn't bother taking notice of how water-logged it already was. I discovered, to my horror, that the water level was above the soil. My plants were SWIMMING in muck. And she didn't notice it.

Sigh.

And they were probably waterlogged alot of times during my absence. One can tell by looking at their stems and leaves. You know those science experiments we did in primary school where you take a white rose, stick it in blue colour water and its leaves and petals start turning blue after a day or two? Well the plants in this terrarium had stems which were brown in colour and some of the leaves were half brown too, after having taken in too much muddy water.

So I spent my whole afternoon saving this terrarium. Took out the plants and repotted them elsewhere. Transplanted newer, younger and fresher stalks of fittonias into the jar instead. And of course I drained out as much water as I could.

Repotted my other pots of fittonias into larger pots and also the plant that Ally gave me last night. Hehe, so sweet, she gave me one of her pots of African Violets. Yay new plant for me! :)

Oh yes, did I mention my mum also murdered my cactus? I came back last Friday to see a grey-brown looking lump of what-used-to-be-vegetation instead of my fresh green cactus. Sigh, no cactuses for the time being till I get my other plants in order.

I might need to stock up on my soil, sphagnum moss, activated charcoal, and pebbles hmmm.
Maybe I might need some more pots too, prettier ones. Ally gave me an idea, I'll visit Daiso tomorrow to see what deals I can get there. :D

No comments: