Thursday, June 26, 2008

Written on 25 June Wednesday

Woke up feeling a bit under the weather, a little feverish maybe…
Found it abit hard to get out of bed. Was hoping I did not catch a bug or something…
Gobbled a sandwich for breakfast and made my usual way to the conference venue.

Was stuck in a technical meeting for 2 hours. Didn’t understand 95% of what they were saying but had to take notes for my technical colleague.
But skipped it before it ended. Went back to the hotel room to sleep and rest.
Discovered that the cause of my feeling unwell was the monthly cycle…Heng I came prepared with the necessary feminine items…
Had smoked salmon sandwich for lunch, popped 2 panadol pills and slunk into bed…

The Lourve
Woke an hour later at 545pm and felt better…time for my own explorations again.
I did not manage to get into the Lourve Museum the other day since the ticket counter was closed. But I still spent about an hour purely taking pics of the exterior of the place…

They close later on Wednesdays, about 945pm and so I decided to go there today.
I reached there around 615pm, bought a ticket from the vending machine…and marched in, unsure of what to expect.

Gosh. Flabbergasted would be a good word to describe me when I first stepped in. Other adjectives like awesome, grand, wonderful, great, magnificent, spiritual, incredible, ghostly, fantastic would be good as well. Surreal would sum it all up.

There were 3 wings, each with 4 storeys, which makes it a total of 12 storeys to cover across the wings. I spent 3 hours there. And I only covered about 5 and a half storeys.

It was incredible.
I think there must be tens of millions of artifacts and prized paintings in the museum alone. French, Italian, English, Spanish paintings.
With many so huge that each paintings’ surface area is bigger than my living room, almost twice. And I live in an executive apartment.

No one paints like this anymore. The level of detail is almost excruciating.
Every strand of hair, every speck of grime, every fold of skin, every ripple of muscle is captured with so much finesse and precision.
You could tell that every square inch of each painting was accorded with much respect and attention.
I went from room to room feeling in awe. I left each room feeling more in awe than the other…The grandeur was indescribable.

The ceilings were painted too...Think my mouth was gaping open a lot of the time.. ahha…Almost in a constant “wah…” or “ooooo”….:)
A lot of the paintings were on Christ, Mary and scenes of war.

Italian, Greek, Eygptian, Iranian, Arabic, French, Oriental sculptures. Other works of decorative art.
Carpets depicting scenes of war, romance. I took a close peek at the carpets and wondered about the ghosts of those who trod on it centuries before…
Cutlery, Egyptian tombstone, Victorian statues, chairs, ancient swivel doors, age old stained glass, long forgotten rosaries…I wondered who touched all these things centuries ago…
The Renaissance period, the Baroque period, the Romantic period, the Revolution…

And of course, I saw the Mona Lisa. I was expecting to see a larger painting. But it ended being smaller than an A2 poster. In between A3 and A2 would be a good bet. It naturally attracted hordes of visitors. Had to shove my way to the front to get a picture...

And I saw Napolean Bonaparte’s rooms & household furnishings too haha!!
The grandiosity of it all. Gosh!!
Crystal & gold chandeliers, gold plated chairs, gold cutlery, red plush cushions, gold crockery…everything was red and gold!
Haha...there I was staring at a long teakwood dining table where Napolean once sat eating merrily. I felt great to be there man… haha…wooo!!

I walked and I walked. Across endless corridors, across endless staircases and across endless passageways. Sometimes I found myself alone in a room.
Ensconced within a stange quietness.
It was almost unnerving to be alone amongst so many artifacts so richly steeped in history. I started at my own reflection once when I passed by a glass shelf...Geez hahha.

It’s late. 12am here. Nearing 6am in SG….I shall blowdry my hair and head to bed…
Aching all over..back, thighs, feet, eyes, arms, boobs… haaaaa….;p Oh yah, I need to go back to LV on Friday again. On a mission to get something for HC’s wifey…




I won't load pics as of now...perhaps later...Stealing bandwidth at the conference haha...

Meeting ends tomorrow. i.e. 26 June. So I'll lose access to any network....bleah..

No comments: