Thursday, September 29, 2005

Gaining Lost Ground?

Am in a more subtle frame of mind. Simmered down after the initial boil-over.

Read the post on quarter-life crisis which Heng passed to me in his comment. Spot on. Spot on. Came across a similar one eons ago too.
http://volition.blogspot.com/2004/05/being-twenty-something.html

A particular sentence caught me and lingered in furrows of my mind.
"The stupid ones plateau, the smart ones rise."

Guess I belong to the former. Though believe you me, I would very much endeavour to cross the fence. Hmm...though the fence seems abit high for me to clamber over at the moment. Been trying. Gotta plant some hand-holds and foot-grips somewhere. Some conscious effort, hard work and patience is needed definitely.

It's true how alot of us are going through the same things, the same changes, the same feelings, the same insecurities, the same confusion, the same thoughts. Been through these conversations with different factions of people. Older ones who say they’ve been through all this and just to be patient cos time will just straighten things out. My peers who are in a similar disarray and floundering around. I suppose, it’s how you handle it that makes the difference. And weeds out the stupid ones from the smarter ones. And as the boss likes to put it, changes don’t wait for us to get accustomed to them; we have to keep changing the wheels of the car even while it is running.

I have always succumbed to asking the provincial question: WHY? Why do things happen as they do? Why are things this way and not that? Are we just puppets on a marionette? Some say it’s pointless questioning so. And I agree. Even if you are on an inexorable quest seeking for answers to your WHY question, who’s there to answer it anyway? But somehow, it always ends up that this same question reverberates though my mind, despite knowing full well I probably won’t get much answers anyway. And invariably, I would end up mulling over things. Bad habit. Debilitating to the soul. Tsk.

Another bad habit I possess which the article touched upon as well. I’m a clinger. I hold on to the past tenaciously. Sometimes, over-zealously. Gotta learn to let go, pick yourself up and move on. I find comfort in the old and familiar though I know too for a fact we have to let go at times in order to move on. A friend once gave me a keychain which I treasured a lot. It held an inscription which read “Look at the past, learn from it and move on.” How apt now when I think about it.

Obstacles are meant to be crossed, not sulked upon.
Look forward and trudge on.
Yeah. Shall not allow myself to wallow and roll on a plateau.
I will be a smart one, soon enough.

Conscious effort. Conscious effort.

No comments: