Monday, February 06, 2006

Jeepers

Was watching Channel News Asia just now. The GetReal programme hosted by Diana Ser.
Simply adore her. I think she's got the brains, the braun and the looks to top it all off.

Today's programme touched on how different (or not) students in the Gifted Programme are from those not within it.

Lotsa interviews were done with students in the GP. Aka "jeepers". And I only have two words to say "I'm impressed."
Jeepers are so god-damn articulate & well-spoken. And their thought processes are so quick & analytical.

*Impressed* Kids these days. Imagine a 16 yr-old sounding like a 25 yr-old speaking.
GOSH.

Voiced out by many of them, being in the top 1% of the student population in Singapore, puts alot of expectations on them. People expect them to "win" all the time.
Jeepers find it difficult to communicate with other students not in the GP. Other students tend to shun them or classify them as nerds. So they end up hanging out amongst themselves, further perpetuating the "social divide".
If and when they fail to meet expectations, all the more this divide widens when the rest think "What makes them different? What makes those bunch of jeepers so elitist?"

I used to think the same way. What makes them so different?
But guess I grew out of it...as do most kids...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

why call them jeepers?? frown.