Saturday, May 27, 2006

The Waiting Game

Wait : to remain or stay in expectation of...

...of things to come...
...of what might be...
...come what may...
...what we wish for...
...what we hope to get...

We spend all our lives waiting.
We wait at traffic junctions, at bus-stops, at taxi stands, to pay for our groceries, to buy tickets for movies...We get put on hold while on the phone..We queue to see the doctor. We wait for that day when we will strike the lottery.

As kids, we wait for the time when we can be old enough to go to school. We wait for the time when we can sip our first drink. We wait for Christmas to arrive. When a school day starts we wait for the last bell of the day. When a school term starts, we wait for the holidays to arrive.

I've waited for my graduation day. I've waited for my operation day. I've waited for others to arrive. I've waited for others to leave. I've waited for my first pay cheque. I've waited for my hair to grow long...I've waited for my driving license. I've waited for that special someone to touch my life. I've waited for special words to come. I've waited for SMSes to arrive. I'm always waiting for answers to my questions...And I ever so often wait for magical moments....

Others wait for their first home together. Some wait for their first grandchild. Some wait for retirement while others wait for their first ride on the plane.

We seem to be always waiting for that proverbial something.
That ubiquitous something.

At times, we wait in vain.
At times, we are rewarded.
At other times, we hang on to blind faith and continue waiting..for how long we might not know.

At times, we wait alone.
At times, we wait with others.
At other times, though rare occurences perhaps?...things and situations wait for us instead.

Waiting...just waiting...
What are you waiting for right now?

I am waiting for..
- the day when I can start driving again...
- my leave to arrive...
- the day when I can take the plane again...
- tomorrow's race...
- something which is not convenient to share in here....but it's something of which I have no control over...
- the answer to my question to him
- next Wednesday's Tian Tian steamboat session!
- the day I further my studies??
- so many other things....

But...perhaps in the light of such waiting-ness...
It's imperative that we still live our life fully...
We ain't wanna miss out on any other things do we?
There's an opportunity cost of pure waiting..
Might as well live things up and do something worthwhile...whilst waiting...

No comments: