Tomorrow's yet another day of false smiles and forced greetings.
To relatives whom you see only once a year and whom you'll prolly not recognise when you walk past them on the streets.
And whose names you don't even know cos you call them all either Uncle or Auntie.
Yeah, every single guy who walks in through the door and is your elder is termed as "Uncle". Likewise for the opposite sex.
For the younger folk, guess I don't even bother to remember which kid is whose child.
And I have to doubly admit, I don't bother knowing how the hell I'm even related to all these people.
Whether it's by name or by some distant blood lineage.
Ahh...Let it be..
I used to go out visiting with my parents. Think the last time I did that was like 4-5 years ago?
But ever since Granny has gotten older and has more difficulty handling drinks and all for the visitors, my role's been changed.
Bro & Dasao'll be out and I'll be at home helping Granny.
In a way, I don't mind this role reversal.
Cos I get to stay at home and not melt under the sweltering heat outside.
But aw man, I just hate those small talk sessions..where each party racks their brains so hard to come up with disinteresting topics.
And the awkwardness & tenseness when each has nothing better to say anymore...
At which point the host aka me, has to say, "Eat more! Drink more! Help yourselves!"
Granny's hearing is really bad now, so I'm the one who does the talking...
And it's the same few mundane anal questions every year..
Where are you working at?
What are you working as?
When are you getting married?
How old are you by the way?
Mom made a comment today.
"When your granny passes on, I don't think there will be anymore of such visits. I think we'll all lose contact with each other. Cos the only reason they'll visit is to show respect for your granny. "
Which I totally agree with.
No comments:
Post a Comment