TAMPINES - An epic battle of sorts was fought in a quiet corridor of a residential block in the eastern town of Tampines yesterday afternoon. After an intense one hour 20 minutes, it appeared that a female resident in her 30s emerged victorious.
Denizens residing within the soil of a particular pot of bamboo were thought to be eradicated. According to witnesses, inhabitants included silverfish, a small striped young lizard, dozens of ants and other unidentified wriggling creatures.
Witnesses at the scene of the carnage said they saw plastic bags, newspapers, rotten bamboo stems, bits of earth, scissors, gloves, a water spray, a small spade and other paraphernalia lying around the pot. There was another pot containing palm-like plants close by but it seemed unscathed.
When interviewed, the female resident, who declined to be named, explained, “This is what happens when you leave your outdoor plants unattended for too long. I had initially left them to my mother’s care but a year of no attention paid to the bamboo was far too long. I found rotten stems, rotten leaves, dead insects, ants, cobwebs and a whole host of other strange creatures. I had no choice but to kill as many of those creatures as I could. If not, the bamboo would perish!”
Indeed, in the aftermath, a lingering smell of insecticide was still in the air.
At last count, the pot of bamboo was seen sitting in a bed of fresh soil and peat moss and had been freshly watered. A thin layer of mist covered its leaves, its stems and new shoots were reaching out to the sun and its future seemed infinitely brighter.
For her parting shot, the female resident advised, “Your plants are just like your pets. They need care and attention. Give them some love and patience as well and I’m sure you will find lovely surprises along the way!”
-Agence de presse-
No comments:
Post a Comment